The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Bestest Okurimono Ever!

So I was sitting at my desk working on a million lesson plans and trying to develop an interesting method to teach phonics to 12 year olds when - to my surprise - the lovely aroma of freshly brewed coffee came wafting from the back of the staff room. And we're not talking about that crappy, murky instant stuff they try to pass off as coffee here. I mean the real thing. Convinced that I had to be hallucinating, I nevertheless walked over to the coffee table to investigate. And there it was - the most beautiful vision my eyes have ever beheld (screw the sakura...this was waaay better!) - a brand new shiny automatic coffee maker with a large bag of real coffee beans beside it.

I may have wept tears of joy, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I rarely drink coffee anymore but wouldn't mind having an occassional cup of the real thing. I was later informed that it was a gift from the departing teachers.

Wow, I really feel like they understood the nature of our relationship...that when we weren't out getting drunk together, coffee was basically the social lubricant of our group.

I'm really going to miss those guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home