The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Eww! Eww! EEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!

This is so gross!

After arriving at home yesterday I turned on the light in my apartment only to encounter the largest, nastiest cockroach I've ever seen in my life.

And you know how I am about bugs.

It came in through the window, actually muscling its way through the tear in the screen. We stared at each other in frozen shock for a moment before I gathered my wits and grabbed the bug spray. I sprayed it once and it flew into the air. I nearly passed out. Then it began running around my floor in deranged, circular paths. So I sprayed it again. It slowed down, limping and crawling and kicking, dying. Oh my god, it was terrible...I think I could actually hear its little roach screams.

Next, I turned around for what I swear was only a second to get some newspaper to pick it up and discard of it. But when I returned, it was gone. I mean, I can't find it anywhere. I'm completely baffled.

But now I realize that the only thing worse than a live roach scurrying around the apartment is a dead one you can't find. I have a hardcore bug phobia AND an active imagination...a very bad combination. Last night I had a nightmare that it was nesting in some far-flung niche in my apartment, recovering from the toxic spray I shot at it, and will come back as an improved- and angry! - radioactive "super bug" looking for revenge...

Ugh, I get nauseous everytime I think about it. For those of you not living in Japan, please don't jump to the conclusion that my apartment is dirty. The wildlife, in all its forms, is a reality of Japanese countrylife. During this time of year, even the most immaculate of housekeepers find him/her self in a constant battle against insects. I knew I was in trouble when I found out that the town office actually delivers two large bottles of bug spray (for free) to every resident during July.

I'm really freaked out...help!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heya Angie! So somehow I found my way to your blog, and read this disturbing story! I've found the best way to kill the nasty blighters is to mix a bit of water with some dishwashing liquid and put it in a spray bottle. Spray the crap out of the roach, and very very quickly it dies! The soap gets into their breathing holes (technical terms okay!) and suffocates them.
    Good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home