The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Monday, February 05, 2007

And the award goes to...

Lets give a round of applause in appreciation for another laugh out loud moment provided by my Japanese dictionary.

Verbatim Example from dictionary: 彼は愛しているといって私を騙した。彼は本当に私を愛していないのだ。

Translation: He deceived (swindled, cheated) me when he said he loved me, because he really doesn't love me.

Its that second sentence emphasis which just kills me. Maybe its just a lost-in-translation thing or does it sound especially bitter?

Hmmm, well, those of you familiar with the strangely macabre examples my dictionary usually provides can at least appreciate the fact that no one died in this sentence. Thats progress, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home