The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Monday, June 05, 2006

Kimono


I wore kimono for the first time today, for no reason other than the woman who cut may hair last week wanted to play dress up. While I was at her salon she showed me photographs of a student delegation that she styled in kimono. After discovering that I had never tried it, she invited me back today. It was so much fun! But I'm convinced that I will never, ever learn how to to do that by myself. I couldn't believe all the layers and obis and wraps, etc. It was a bit like what I imagine wearing a corset would be like. However I quickly grew accustomed to it.

Of course, I was surprised when she asked me to take a drive to show it off. We stopped at the yakuba (town office), elementary school, post office, and a few other places. Initially I felt self conscious...but you know me, it didn't take much for me to come out of my shell!

Later I became aware of some confusion regarding the reason for the kimono. A rumour passed through town that I got married today, ha ha! Truthfully, people only wear kimono for a few key purposes, marriage being the main one, so I can understand why people thought so. Hopefully I can clarify things soon!

Above: Notice how beautifully the obi (the belt) is wrapped in the back

Below: My blatant plug for her salon! :) Seriously, she's really good at cutting hair. She even studied in Paris...

My friends from the yakuba - look, there ARE some young people in Ikata! Hopefully, they'll all be at my next party...

2 Comments:

  • At 5:14 AM, Blogger david said…

    party ... party ... did i hear the word party?!!!

    when?

    onegaishimasu.

    check my blog. you may need your dazzling red kimono again soon.

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    If you don't mind, I'm going to link directly to your blog so everyone in Chi-town can check it out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home