The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Friday, July 14, 2006

First shrine-festival in over 30 years

I was on my way to a party in Misaki-Town when a co-worker informed me of a festival occuring in Ikata. Strange, I thought, to have a festival on a Wednesday. A little probing uncovered the reason for this event - it was the annual festival day for a particular shrine in Kucho. What is really noteworthy, however, is that this festival hasn't been celebrated in Kucho for over 30 years (probably due to a number of factors including general wanning interest in these kinds of traditional customs, decreasing population in the countryside coupled with increased migration of young people from rural to urban communities, etc.). I'd like to think that this festival is perhaps indicative of some small-scale renewal our declining countryside but I know that's probably a premature conclusion. Still, it was nice to see mixed generations get together for the evening...and an even rarer sight around here - young children!

Here are some images from the evening:




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home