The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Monday, August 28, 2006

A Few Quick Photos...

Well, I had another wonderful and busy week. Yet again I found myself in Kyushu, this time in Usuki to see "Himatsuri" (Fire Festival). Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Umm, there's a lot going on here recently, all good, but things are very, very busy. When I get a chance I'll write an update on all the details (soon, I hope). In the meantime, please forgive me if communication lags a bit. I really will get on top of emails, blog, and calls again soon!

PS - These pictures are in reverse order, starting from evening and moving to morning. Sorry, my blogger was acting a little wierd...


These Buddhas are carved into the mountainside (landscape view in a photo below)

One of many fires along the mountain path

All those little glittering lights are individual fires...hope this gives you some idea of the size/scope of the festival

A volunteer wearing happi manages the fire...

Lanscape view of some Buddhas carved into the mountainside

Our gang and the Kadota extended family, Yumi's family house in Oita-ken

Interior, cave
Waterfall, entrance to cave
Stone Bridge, Oita-ken


Left to Right: Yumi, Kai, Ms. Shimauchi, Andrea, Aaron on the ferry to Kyushu




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home