The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sister-City Delegation in town this week, Today was the Ikata Summer Festival


Help! I haven't slept well in days and I've been drinking far too much!!! The past week has been intense. In fact, every day I've had the opportunity to spend lots of time sight-seeing with the delegates from our sister-city. And today was an extra-special day...Ikata Natsu Matsuri (summer festival). So right now its 1am and I should be asleep but instead I will give you a thirty-second update on whats been going on around town:

(1)The day before our sister-city delegates arrived the CIR (professional Japanese translator/international coordinator) had a medical emergency and went to the hospital. The herniated disc in his back unexpectedly caused mental delusions and hallucinations in his co-workers because they actually thought I could fill in for him. Umm, well at least its an awesome opportunity to practice those five words in Japanese I do know...

(2)I got drunk by 11am today. Thats a new record for me.

(3)I've only been home for 6 hours in the past 48.

(4)The strangest thing I had to translate this week was "The bedroom is kind of musty. Would you like me to put your futon in this room and remove the windows?"

(5)My cousin asked me to be the maid of honor in her wedding. I am sooooo excited!!!

(6) I saw Matsumoto-san (a FAMOUS kabuki performer) outside the ANA hotel in Matsuyama on Friday. We were entering for an event as he was leaving.

(7) I learned half of the sukiyaki song in karaoke.

Thats more or less it. I'm sleepy. O-yasumi nasai!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger david said…

    I'm in Malaysia at the moment, but your blogs lets me still manage to keep up to date with the happening metropolis that is Ikata.

    Drunk by 11am!? Angie, Angie... that is QUITE a record! Kiyotsukete ne.

    Check out my flickr, I posted some pics!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home