The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

6月25日ラルクアンシエルライブ愛媛県 松山文化会館 ヘ(^_^ヘ)(ノ^_^)ノL'arc En Ciel Concert

Are You Ready?!?!
o(^^o)(o^^)o

Photo: Holding My Ticket, Concert Day, Morning, Matsuyama Starbucks...notice huge, dopey grin and slightly lightheaded gaze. Thanks to amake for tolerating said dopey grin all day, what a trooper!

After months of anticipation, I finally got to go to the L'arc En Ciel concert yesterday. Hurray!

I was 6th row, aisle seat, slightly left of center! Words cannot express how much fun it was. In fact, every time I try to articulate the experience I just get all smitten, giddy and fan-girly. Sigh!

It was a long day. I left Ikata early and headed out to the great "pine mountain" (I had to apply for my Japanese work visa extension and reentry permit). Amake came with me and we spent much of the day hanging out together. Later, I met up with K, Andy, Wen-wen, and a friend from work. And off to the concert we went!

Wow, just trying to string along a coherent summary of yesterday is proving to be difficult. I didn't sleep much. So instead of laboring on the details tonight, I want to share with you two memories. Click on the links below so you can experience the music for yourself!

First, the surprise of the evening for me: Turns out I absolutely loved the revised, P'unk En Ciel, version of their song "Honey" (this after listening to it in the car on Saturday and boldly declaring how much it sucked). For those of you who don't know, Punk En Ciel refers to the band's harder, edgier, alter-ego selves. To become Punk En Ciel they don different clothing (Hyde usually wears an eye patch and I think Yuki sometimes wears a gas mask), switch roles (Testu takes over vocals, Hyde on guitar, Ken on drums, and Yuki on bass) and reinterpret/reinvent classic L'arc songs . This metamorphosis occurred midway during the performance yesterday. Just take a look at the before and after and judge for yourself. I think we'll all have to agree that the P'unk version is hokey at best. But I assure you - you have to experience it live to get the humor involved. The best part? Yuki's "one-two-three-FOUR!"

Before: Honey, L'arc En Ciel Video, 1999 (look how cute they are)


After: Punk En Ciel, Honey 2007

Get this widget | Share | Track details


And the best part of the evening for me? The last encore was my FAVORITE L'arc song of all time - Jojoushi (叙情詩 - Love Poem ). Can you believe it? I have been studying the Japanese lyrics and I can say unequivocally that the words are some of the most beautiful ever written. Please do listen and see if you agree!

Live Version: L'Anniversary, Tokyo Concert, 2006



Translation
Jojoushi, courtesy of http://www.megchan.com/lyrics2/artists/larc.html

No matter how many times the seasons go 'round and change colors
These feelings will flicker like a flower that never withers
I'm thinking of you

The words play together in a comfortable melody
I just want you to be by my side
So I don't lose your smiling eyes
Even on a night when you can't see the shining stars

I'll hold you like the sunlight shining through the trees
That's my unchanging vow
If this is a dream, I don't care if it stays a dream
The joy of heading towards tomorrow, overflowing with the sparkle of love
Is true

The love to you is alive in me. wo- every day for love
You are aside of me wo- every day

You quietly soften
Even the sad memories left behind
Blown about by the soft, playful wind
You're so vivid as you steal me away

No matter how many times the seasons go 'round and change colors
These feelings are like a flower that never withers
If this is a dream, I don't care if it stays a dream
My heart is dyed with the overflowing sparkle of love
I'm always thinking of you

The love to you is alive in me. wo- every day for love
You are aside of me wo- every day

2 Comments:

  • At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi girly! Thanks again for a fun time at the conert and for trying to introduce some Japanese 'culture' into my life. ;) Miss you but hoping that you have a great trip back home. =) Wendy

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful lyrics!! I can see why you love them so much. Also, I keep telling everyone your story about how you went to see them again. It never gets old!! Love you!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home