The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

地震が起きた!

今朝伊方で小さいな意地震が起きた!(けさ いかた で ちいさいな じしん が おきた!)

I wrote that in Japanese so as not to alarm my family. But it was quite an intense way to start the morning. Just thought I'd mention it. Hope my fellow mikans are doing alright!

First of all, sorry for the lag in meaningful posts recently. I promised myself I wouldn't work on any more blogger posts until I updated my Japanese one. And finally(!) I did that. Well, I completed a first draft anyway. So hurray, the hard part is over. And when my Japanese post is complete I'll post it here as well.

Not much else going on, at least for this week. Last weekend was action-packed: I had two work-related parties on Friday night and a super-cool ALT stayed over. Then I went to an excellent self-defense class on Saturday afternoon with the always-lovely Yawatahama gang. Later that evening I had the opportunity to watch my very favorite festival of the year - 柱祭り - in Yawatahama.

[Note to JJP: Argh! The world is closing in on me! That night at the festival I ran into about a million people that I know. Can you believe it? Guess I've been around here for far too long, huh? Unlike previous years it was an actual challenge to watch the kagura this time. At one point on the way back from the bathroom I was physically abducted by friends and brought into a house party...so I missed the part of the kagura where they climb on top of the shrine!!! Fortunately amake responded to my surreptitious text and phoned me 15 minutes later, providing me with a graceful exit.]

Hey, does anybody else feel like the week before Golden Week is the looooongest week of the semester?!?! For those of you not in Japan, a brief explanation. Next week there will only be two work days (the rest of the work week are national holidays; this week is know collectively as "Golden Week") and, although I have no concrete plans for my free time, I just can't wait for it to arrive.

I'm going to sleep! A lot! Or at least a good 7 hours each night.

And I'm going to make hummus. A big, big yummy bowl of it. You see, I have a Japanese friend who has never even heard of hummus. I know, I know - you can stop shrieking in terror now because its all going to be ok. I promise. I will send a sample his way and rectify this truly terrible situation.

Have I ever mentioned that hummus is one of my most favoritest foods in the whole wide world?

So, what are YOUR plans for Golden Week? Be sure to send me mails/texts/phone calls if you find yourself with nothing to do. That means you too, Chicago!

Till then! As the ever-so-cute group ゆず succinctly puts it: また会える日まで!

As you can see, I'm still a little discombobulated from the morning. Apologies for this scattered post!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger david said…

    discombobulated - angie, i'm simply dazzled by your english. what has japan done to you!

    when is a good time for me to call (i think you have some free time this week with golden week)? let me know and we can catch up. e-mails just don't cut it.

    until soon :-)))
    d

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger JJP said…

    Glad to hear you kept up the hashira matsuri run, and hope the weather was better than last year! Sounds like you had a blast, though you missed some of the show due to all your new pals. Did you or Amake get thrown in the river, or didn't you make it for that part? Did you bring anyone else with you?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home