The (Not So) Exciting Stories Of My Adventures In The Japanese Countryside...

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things." -Henry Miller

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Historical Method and Social Cycle Theory: One Interpretation Of My Time In Japan

Yatta! I finally found it - the model I've been searching for all this time.

The sociological theory of cycles suggests that as history unfolds there is no such thing as real "social progress" (in the evolutionary sense of the word, we can define "social progress" another time); rather, because historical events unfold in a series of cycles rather than moving forward in linear fashion, history is just repeating itself over and over again.

Brother, isn't that the truth.

Obviously, we can now apply this model to my time in Japan and reinterpret my experience as a continuing cycle in which I alternate between moments of being very, very cool (if you can believe it) and moments of being the BIGGEST GEEK EVER, all of it ultimately leading to no real social progress at all. Ne?

Bloody brilliant!( ̄▽ ̄)ノ_彡☆

2 Comments:

  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger david said…

    Well I can assure you that you have made progress in one area... your emotions are getting very advanced! mm(^_^)mm

     
  • At 1:38 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    Ha ha!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home